Best Grilled Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini is a versatile veggie that makes entry during the summer. You can find them at vegetable gardens and farmer's markets. Besides, grocery stores are filled with zucchinis ready for you to load up and start cooking. While you can toss it into salads and pasta all summer long, nothing can be more impressive than throwing it on the grill.
In short, zucchini is one of the most popular vegetables that you can grill in summer. They are healthy, easy to cook and take very little time to prepare. A perfectly grilled zucchini recipe will take about 10 to 15 minutes to cook from start to finish. This post is all about the best grilled zucchini recipes and getting it done the right way every time.
Why You Will Love This Easy Grilled Zucchini Recipe?
To begin with, zucchini is a veggie that’s rich in minerals, vitamins, and other plant compounds. It offers several health benefits that include a lower risk of certain heart diseases and improved digestion. Moreover, zucchini dramatically helps treat the prostate, thyroid, and bones.
If you think about good health, add this mild, soft veggie to today's diet. Apart from the health benefits, the grilled zucchini recipe tastes fantastic and is easy to prepare. Also, it takes about 20 minutes to cook. While many people consume zucchini raw, having them grilled imparts big-time favor. And, you don’t need extra fat for that as well.
A perfect grill zucchini is gluten-free, low-glycemic, Paleo, vegan, dairy-free, Keto, and low-carb. Also, it is suitable for the South Beach diet as well. That way, it is the perfect recipe that you can make for almost everyone.
You will love this zucchini recipe because it’s simple and tasty. The grill enhances their flavor and makes the recipe delicious. Moreover, when you season grilled zucchini with salt, lemon, and olive oil, it becomes a healthy and delicious treat.
How to Grill Zucchini?
There is no denying that grilled zucchini is one of the best summertime favorites for many people. It brings a lot of flavor within a few minutes. But how can you grill zucchini the right way? Here is how to grill zucchini the right way.
- Start by slicing the zucchinis in even slices. You can cut them diagonally to have more surfaces while putting them on the grill.
- Next, mix your favorite salad dressing or vinaigrette along with garlic powder. Also, add a few teaspoons of Italian dried herbs such as rosemary, oregano, and basil.
- Dress the zucchinis with vinegar or other classic oil. However, make sure that the dressing is low in sugar.
- Put the zucchinis in a Ziploc bag after marinade and allow it to refrigerate for a few hours or all day while you are at the office.
- Allow the zucchini to drain in the sink when it is time for you to cook. In the meantime, set the grill to medium-high and preheat it.
- While there is oil in the zucchini to keep it from sticking, you can use a non-stick spray to preheat the grill.
- Lay the zucchinis on the grill grates and cook them for about three to four minutes
- Ensure that the grill marks are visible by picking one of them. If they have the marks, rotate every piece to get the crisscross mark.
- Cook for about ten to twelve minutes. Or, you can cook less if you seek a crunchy feel.
Ingredients for This Recipe
Here are the ingredients for this recipe.
- Take two zucchinis, ten to twelve inches long, and cut into slices 1/2 – 5/8 inches thick
- One teaspoon of garlic puree or garlic powder
- Half a cup of your favorite salad dressing
- One to two teaspoons of basil, dried oregano, rosemary, and thyme
When choosing the right zucchini for your recipe, you have to keep certain things in mind. The first thing to look out for is the color, size, and stem. Because larger zucchinis tend to carry a lot of water, it is better to go with the smaller ones. Also, choose the ones that have vibrant colors.
Besides, look out for the correct type of stem for the zucchini. When the zucchini has a good amount of stem, it helps the veggie to last longer. Apart from that, keep in mind that you can find zucchini year-round. But it tastes better and is found in plenty during the summer months.
The best zucchinis have a length of six inches or even less. And they are less bitter and sweeter. Moreover, the outer green skin is edible and you don’t have to peel much before cooking.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Easy Grilled Zucchini Recipe
Follow the step-by-step instructions to get the best out of your grilled recipe.
- Cut zucchini into even slices while ensuring that each of them has the same thickness.
- Mix garlic powder, your favorite dried herbs, and salad dressing.
- Put the slices in a Ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Allow the zucchinis to marinate in the refrigerator for about four hours or longer. You can even allow it to stay all day long if you feel so.
- When you are ready to have some delicious zucchini, take them out of the refrigerator. And drain the marinade in the sink by placing it over a colander.
- Before you cook zucchini, preheat the grill to a medium-high setting. If you want, use a non-stick spray on the grill. However, remember that the marinade got enough oil and you may not require additional oil.
- Put the zucchinis diagonally on the grill grates and keep a spray bottle nearby to get rid of flames from the oil present in the marinade.
- After cooking the zucchini for three to four minutes, watch out for visible grill marks. If you notice them, rotate each zucchini in the opposite direction. Cook for another three to four minutes.
- Turn the zucchini to the other side and cook for a few minutes. Cook until the zucchini softens while the outer part seems browned and charred.
- Serve hot after seasoning it with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
When it is about slicing zucchini for grilling, there are two options that you can follow. You can either shave the zucchini into thin ribbons or cut it lengthwise to make thick steaks. Try to avoid slicing the zucchini into round shapes or else, you need to flip them constantly.
Also, the risk of them falling between the grill grates is high. Because thick steaks have enough surface area for the grill marks, it creates a smoky flavor. Also, you can maneuver the pieces with ease. You can serve the steaks as it is or chop them into small pieces while adding salty cheese and herbs.
What to Serve with Grilled Zucchini
The grilled zucchini recipes are best served as a side dish with whatever you are grilling. Besides, you can try your hand with various summer pasta such as pesto pasta, pasta Pomodoro, linguine, and penne. Also, it is considered great with a pasta salad or couscous.
Moreover, many people use zucchinis with pita or good crusty bread alongside a handful of roasted chickpeas. For a gluten-free alternative, use yogurt with socca wedges. If you have leftovers, try tossing them into orzo or slice them and add them to a grilled cheese sandwich.
Best Knives to Cut Zucchini
An excellent knife for cutting zucchini is a kitchen investment. So, make sure that you choose the one with the highest quality. Here are the best knives for you to cut zucchini efficiently.
1. Chef knife with brown handle
When it is about slicing zucchini in a snap, this 8-inch chef knife hits all the right spots. The blade is made from high-carbon stainless steel. It is rust-proof, sturdy, and maintains its functionality for several years. The ultra-sharp edge of the blade helps you achieve the best cuts necessary when you are slicing even cuts on the zucchinis. This chef knife has an ergonomic design for comfort and stability to minimize fatigue, aches, or finger numbness.
2. Chef’s knife 8-inch
This is another fantastic 8-inch chef knife that’s worth the splurge. The blade is made of high-quality carbon stainless steel. It is durable and guaranteed not to rust anytime soon. Also, the knife has an ergonomic design and sharp blade edge that cuts through veggies in a quick motion.
1. When is the right time to serve the best grilled zucchini recipes?
When you allow zucchinis to sit for some time, they get mushy. Hence, when preparing other recipes on the grill, it is good to keep zucchini for last. As soon as you have cooked the recipe, take it off the grill, season them, and serve.
2. How to know when the zucchini is ready to eat?
Zucchini steaks are ready to serve when the grill marks appear and the steak becomes tender. And this is about 3 to 4 minutes of cooking on both sides. Whereas zucchini ribbons are ready when their edges are charred after 4 to 5 minutes of cooking.