Air Fried Guacamole
PREP TIME 5 HOURS
COOK TIME 8 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME 5 HOURS 8 MINUTES
Ingredients for 10 fried guacamole (ping pong size)
- 3 medium ripe avocados
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- fresh finely chopped cilantro to taste (about 1/3 cup)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 8 tablespoons fine almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
1/3 cup almond flour
- Substitute: unflavored protein powder or protein baking powder; coconut flour; tapioca or arrowroot powder
90g (1 1/2 cups) gluten-free panko
- Substitute: regular panko; wheat breadcrumbs
- spray olive oil
- In a bowl, mix and mash the ingredients for the guacamole WITHOUT the almond flour. Once you have the desired taste, add in the almond flour until it the guacamole is thick, like brownie batter. Add additional tablespoons of almond flour to the batter as needed to make it thick. Be careful not to add too much lime juice as that will make the guacamole wet and loose. Set the bowl in the freezer to harden for 1 – 2 hours until it has hardened.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Use a spoon to scoop out the guacamole and form a ball, about the size of a ping pong ball, with your hands and place it on the baking tray. Repeat VERY quickly with remaining guacamole. Cover the tray with nonstick foil and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Set air fryer to 390F (199C).
- Beat eggs together in a bowl.
- You MUST work quickly and likely will have to do this in batches. Lightly spray a guacamole ball in olive oil to help them get “sticky,” then dip it in almond flour, then the egg mixture, then panko crumbs. Repeat ONLY until you have enough guacamole balls to fill the air fryer basket (while giving them ample space to breathe), then place the rest of the balls (without coating) back in the freezer.
- Place the coated balls in an air fryer basket, spray them with a little olive oil and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until the outside is golden brown. If the balls begin to crack, take them out of the air fryer. Allow them to slightly cool before handling since they become more firm as they cool. Repeat steps 5 & 6 for any remaining balls.